It’s been so long since I made one of these posts, I figured it might be fun to do a sort of “state of the union” post. Nearly a year ago (9 months – eep!) I last posted about getting a Space Marine Megaforce. I wanted to do a better job of painting the miniatures in this set than I did with the starter set, but as a result, things progressed very slowly and there really wasn’t much to blog about (in my opinion at the time). Then summer came, D&D 4e came out, I changed jobs, etc, etc, etc. Suffice it to say, Warhammer sort of slipped through the cracks, and after the end of September, I stopped painting altogether.
But now, with the advent of the Dawn of War 2 multiplayer beta, I’ve rekindled the flame. After a short game against Neil (predictably, he whupped me), I broke out the miniatures in their half-state of completion and got back to it. Being that I didn’t blog any of the initial part of the Megaforce experience, I figure a short recap is in order.
After getting over my initial fears of doing things wrong, I decided to jump into the kit with aplomb by just starting with one marine. Within a short amount of time, I had assembled all of the marines in the kit, as well as the Dreadnought. The toughest part were the tanks, which are still largely incomplete. I had decided that I would use rare earth magnets to make them modular. With just a few tiny magnets, I could turn a Predator into a Razorback into a Rhino. This didn’t really work out, and my fear of doing it fataly wrong kept me from really sticking to it. As it is, I should be able to have the Razorback and the Rhino be interchangable, but due to how the side sponsons are mounted on the Predator compared to the hatches on the APCs, it’d just be easier to make it a tank and a tank alone. I’m okay with this. I don’t imagine I’ll really need to change it around much once it’s built. If I desperately need another APC, I suppose I’ll just have to shell out some money down the road. That said, I still haven’t actually finished them, so there’s time to think this over a bit more. I found that with some of the magnets I already added (for the portholes on the top-front of the tanks) seemed to come unglued from the cardstock I used to mount them. I’ll have to get some crazy glue or something.
After priming everything up (save the tanks, that is), I noticed that my primer must have been getting thicker than it was when I first got it, as it started to clump in parts on some of the models. This is especially noticable on the Dreadnought, under the main chassis it’s lost a bit of detail. It’s pretty disappointing, but I figure I can just chip away some of the primer before I paint it up. A few of the marines had the same thing happen, typically where their forearm and bolter met, but it’s much less noticeable (obviously). The worst part was not noticing that it was a problem until it was too late and had dried.
A little discouraged, I decided to motor on. I started out painting all of the regular tactical marines and that went swimmingly. I learned a few things along the way and, while I’m still not great, I think my painting has improved. The idea I had was that by the time I paint up my command unit, then my painting skills would be good enough to really do them justice. This was not really the case, at least not how I imagined it, but they look serviceable enough. I think the difficulty with making an army of your own creation is that there are no real guidelines for colour schemes. You just sort of do what looks right as you go along. Half way through the units, I decided it might look better for their weaponry to be predominantly white and silver. White became a lot more of an important colour for the scheme, so I have to go back and revise some of my earlier marines to incorporate more of it.
Speaking of white paint, however, this brings me to another problem. Now that the majority of my units have been painted, I can’t really go back to revise this, but I really should have primed them all in white initially. The problem being that with their secondary colour being white, it doesn’t cover black quite as nicely as I’d like it to. Perhaps it’s the batch of white paint I’ve got, or my inexperience, or both; but I’m not entirely thrilled with how the white paint goes over the shoulders and such. This is especially noticeable with any marines with white helmets, like the Apothecary and the Assault squad captain. All the little details really make the white paint look thin, so I keep having to add more layers of white to make it look decent. Furthermore, the sleeves and pants of the Scout marines are also white, and it’s noticeable there as well, but not nearly as much as the helmets of other marines.
Phew, that’s really a mouthful, but now you’re all caught up. Monday night I cracked open everything, making sure to completely ignore my discouraging half-made tanks and got to work on my Scouts and my Assault marines. On the latter I really just touched some things up, now that the light in the kitchen is much brighter, it’s much easier to work in there in the evenings. As for the former, I painted their hair and cloaks and touched up some paint mistakes from earlier. I used the foundation green that came with the set. I haven’t had much use for it just yet, but it really went well as the Scout’s cloaks. It kind of reminded me of the rebel ponchos from Endor in Star Wars. It was only an hour of painting, but it was nice to get back into it. Hopefully it won’t be long before I’ve got the whole Megaforce done and I’m moving on to the Assault on Black Reach models.
Speaking of which, I swung by Heroes’ World today at lunch and snapped up a certain codex for some planning. The current plan: more Orks! Of course, I want all of my marines and armour completely done before I buy a single unit; but now’s a good time to start dreaming. 🙂