Curt’s Warhammer 40k Adventure, part 4

So, as I mentioned briefly in the shoutbox, I painted up all my Tyranids yesterday. Here’s how it all went down.

I got up, milled about for a bit, and then set up my painting area by 11:30am. I had a better idea of how I wanted thingsCurt’s 40k Adventure 026 arranged this time, so that helped. I looked over the Tyranid painting guide in the Battle for Macragge book. The ones in the book are painted up like those from Hive Fleet Behemoth. This means that their armour plates are blue and their skin is red. Not a fan of that combination, but I didn’t feel especially creative with the Tyranids, so I figured that was how I should proceed anyway.

Curt’s 40k Adventure 027Unfortunately, for the blue sections of the Tyranids, you’re supposed to use a turquoise colour. I have no turquoise. I figured it would be a simple enough matter to just mix up some paint and I’d be set. The fates conspired, however, and I couldn’t for the life of me get the colour I wanted. Worse yet, I was very nearly out of white at this point. So instead of doing it exactly like the book (which is even harder cause theCurt’s 40k Adventure 028 foundation paints I have are not the same colours as the regular citadel paints), I just decided to dry brush the armour with a light blue. This, thankfully, turned out pretty good and I was getting energized about the whole thing again. Because I was already working on the Tyranids and would need to reuse all their colours for their scenery things (spawn points, whatever), I figured I’d do them at the same time. And the spore mines while I was at it.

Curt’s 40k Adventure 029After all the dry brushing was done, I set out to start doing the red basecoat. This was a bit trickier than I’d imagined it would be. For starters, the red I have is a bit duller than how they should look, so it was a bit difficult to eyeball, and having thoroughly destroyed all my brushes with my apparently-savage painting the day before, I had some trouble working it between all the highly detailed bug bits on the models. There were alot of black primer areas showing through the Curt’s 40k Adventure 030paint, so I had to do another coat. I eventually got it to look reasonable, though I might want to do some detail touch up later on.

I then moved on to highlighting. At first, I tried simply mixing white with red, but the pinkish mixture didn’t look so great. So I tried with a yellowish tinted mixture (can’t remember what I mixed now), and at first it looked better, but once I finished I wasn’t sold on it either. So, I then tried a dimmer pink colour for the edges andCurt’s 40k Adventure 031 was pretty happy with that one. It doesn’t look AWESOME, but it looks decent enough, so I motored on. This is around when it became painfully clear that I need to really learn how to thin paints and apply more layers to achieve gradients. It’s all a learning experience and I’m glad I’m learning. The downside, of course, is that miniatures are expensive. 😉

After that, I tackled doing the claws and teeth on the Genestealers. Only after I finished and looked at the book again did I realise that their claws are actually supposed to be a black/grey colour and not a bone colour. Oh well, I think it looks nice Curt’s 40k Adventure 032how it is. Artist license, right? I did the Termagants hooves and claws with the correct grey colour and it looked nice as well. I also did their guns in the same colour. In the book it looks kinda like their guns might actually be Boltgun Metal, but they’re supposed to be bio-engineered weapons, so I just made them a greyish colour. Somewhat of a half measure, if you will. As with the marines, the eyes and teeth were very hard to do. I had a decent time of it using a toothpick, but I imagine I might get better results with a pin. I’ll have to try that on my next mini-with-eyes.

Lastly, with the Oscars in the back ground and the hour getting late, I began basing all the minis. This was actually pretty fun. You “paint” some PVA glue on the base. This is basically woodworking glue. Then you just dip the mini in the sand andCurt’s 40k Adventure 033 move him around a bit. Dust off the excess stuff and let him dry. Once dry, just paint it black and then once that dries, dry-brush it brown. It came out looking really nice, but I haven’t added any grass yet, as I’m not 100% sure how to do just little tufts of grass poking out of the rocks. I also took this opportunity to cover up some blemishes on the models with a bit of “mud” from the base. It blends stuff really well and looks really cool when it’s done. I finished this all by 11:30pm, exhausted and with the worst back pain ever. But it was very fun.

I don’t know why, but the time really flies while I’m doing this. I hope I don’t get sick of it too soon. Now all that remains from the Battle for Macragge is to do the scenery and then it’s all done. I also bought a Space Marine Commander for after that stuff so I have the bare minimum for a regular force (2 troop units and 1 HQ unit). I don’t know if I’ll blog all this stuff though, it might get pretty boring to read. 😉

Leave a Reply