Alright, I hate to derail all the hard work you guys all did getting ready for Eberron. Hold onto those characters we WILL be starting it relatively soon. However, in light of yesterdays events, it only seems fitting that we finally put on those old musty boots and trudge down into a dank dungeon in honour of the man who started it all. Originally, I considered running White Box D&D (the original original) much like Gary himself ran up until January of this very year. But upon further consideration, it seems more reasonable in this short order to play AD&D 1st Edition instead. We never really played it in the past, having started with 2nd Edition, but I think it only right that we play this one.
If possible, it’d be best if you all gathered at Carl’s to make characters (Thursday, perhaps?). The only books you will need to use are the Player’s Handbook, and optionally some stuff from Unearthed Arcana. I haven’t parsed through the books yet to pick out anything I want to avoid, but I figure we’ll use pretty much everything.
Here are the guidelines:
- Level 1
- Roll your ability scores using 4d6 (drop the lowest), arranged in any order. You must keep these scores unless the AVERAGE (add em all up, divide by 6) is less than 10, then you may reroll. I originally thought it was just 3d6, but this method is actually Method 1 in the DMG, much to my surprise.
- Pick your class based on the scores you get and what the group needs.
- Roll 1st level HP, take whatever you get.
- We play until there’s a TPK or until the adventure is complete.
- Disregard everything concerning races in Unearthed Arcana. Use all the race stuff in the PHB only.
I will see about making my own adventure for this. Dungeon map on graph paper and everything. It will be awesome.