Little bit of this, little bit of that

Well hello there! Hope all are doing well. I’m doing pretty good. For those who may not have gotten the word I spent a good part of last week in the hospital. I got me a lovely infection from a cold that my lungs couldn’t keep up. It was a difficult time as I was with Lucas on my own at the time. I don’t think I was ever that afraid. It’s one thing for you to be hurt or in danger on your own but another to have a your kid watching as your plugged to an ekg reader, while your getting an IV while wearing a mask. Suffice it to say it is eye opening. I had gotten multiple treatments to the point where my heart rate kept dancing between 80 and 120. They didn’t want to let me go at that point at risk of my heart giving out.

Staying at a hospital is rather annoying. For one your in a bed, you don’t have a blanket and even if you manage to get one they are thin. You then have all the noises of those around you. You tend to hear everyone’s story pretty quick over a small area. I was unfortunately stuck next to an old ladies room where she had trouble…playing dumptruck. So all I heard was ow, ow, owie, ow, ow. You have to feel sorry for elderly people who have trouble but still you cannot help but feel very annoyed. By the time I would want to sleep or try to then it was my next treatment and then that speeds the system up again so cannot sleep. It is a vicious circle.

But now at home and all good. I am not doing much handiwork. I tend to tire out quickly enough though. My ticker needs a lot more rest but should bounce back soon enough. At first I was walking like an old man and eventually was able to get around. But now Lucas caught the bug I had as well as Marie so that has added an extra level of suck.

Since I missed three days of school last week I have to recoup this week so an hour extra for two days which is not bad. Basically learning to measure with micrometers and vernier. We just started welding which is good. Right now we are learning to weld with acetylene mixed with oxygen. It is tricky that is for sure. Acetylene on it’s own does not smell but they infuse the gas with a smell very much like garlic. So by the time class is over you can’t help but think you keep smelling the shit. It’s pretty rancid. I got home and was like fuck, now I really smell it but it ended up being actual garlic on the counter. Was quite funny.

Also in class, a guy was not paying attention and burned a hole in his pants and left his skin red. Acetylene mixed with oxygen can range over 3000F. Also ironically on the same fellow, his torch had a busted rubber o-ring inside so the torch backfired causing a fire to burst near his hand.Luckily he was ok but the idea is not to panic and shut down the gas valves.

So yeah that’s it for now. Ciao!

Leave a Reply